Updated: Sep 16, 2019
With so many recent clients, we keep hearing the same reason for seeking support during pregnancy and birth. Feeling overwhelmed. Comfortable with the knowledge they've received but would feel better with someone to physically support through the process.
Just like a coach.
And the majority of these expecting, many have taken a prenatal class, read some sort of resource and feel that a doula would be helpful. We see this across a spectrum of first time expecting and multiple births.
If there is one piece of advice that we share it's this, the best plan is no plan.
Be prepared for anything and everything. Be educated in the processes, options and manage realistic expectations. We'd love to assist in creating your birth ideals and strive to ensure that your wishes are carried out however you cannot assume that babies will always cooperate.
The concerns that we commonly hear are:
- previous miscarriage(s), experience that may cause some fear
- wanting support for the birthing parent, unsure of what labour will feel like
- someone that will be there to explain what is going on during labour & delivery
- help to cope with early labour, being concerned with what this will look like
- pain management & wanting to be able to move around as much as possible
- wanting to avoid induction, citing that it seems painful & somewhat unnecessary
- cesarean care and what to expect for recovery
- breastfeeding guidance, how to include pumping
- how to care for a new baby
- bonding with a partner
- post delivery care for the birthing parent, how to be prepared
- parents that work from home & creating boundaries for work & personal life
- balance of household duties and caring for baby
- being able to relax and strategies for possible anxiety
Sound familiar? Are these questions or concerns that resonate with you?
This is normal conversation we have with clients to address their questions and concerns.
Feeling overwhelmed with what's to come is completely valid and our goal is to assist you in feeling prepared and comfortable with the entire process.
This is our specialty. This is our experience.
It's refreshing to see that many who are preparing for labour and delivery of a baby are asking and seeking support from a doula.
Doulas have been around for decades providing education, support and a level of service for individuals and families during this experience. We are not a luxury, rather a valuable support before, during and after birth.
No matter where you are in your pregnancy, we can provide support services. The majority search for us during the first few months of pregnancy and we walk this path together, alongside with guidance and care.
Many as of late are reaching out in the last few months to acquire support for labour and delivery which is also absolutely welcomed however booking sooner rather than later is encouraged to avoid limited availability.
If you are interested in having a doula or just want some more information, send us a message!
You can also leave us a comment here and we'd be happy to answer your questions.